Reporting a Name Change

Have you recently changed your name? If so, it can affect your taxes. The names on your tax return must match Social Security Administration (SSA) records. If you have married or divorced and changed your name, you must notify the SSA of your name change. Also, notify the SSA if your dependent had a name change (for example, if you’ve adopted a child and the child’s last name changed).

File Form SS-5 (“Application for a Social Security Card”) to notify the SSA of your name change. You can get the form from or by calling 800-772-1213. The new card will reflect your new name with the same SSN you had before the name change.

Please contact Martini, Iosue & Akpovi by phone at (818) 789-1179 if you have any questions or would like more information.

Share: Share by email
Go to the top of this page.