What to Do If You Don't Get a Form W-2

If you worked as an employee during 2014, your employer must give you a Form W-2, “Wage and Tax Statement,” by February 2, 2015. This form shows the amount of wages you received for the year and the taxes withheld from those wages, and it must be filed with your return.

If you haven’t received yours by mid-February, you should first ask your employer to give you a copy of your Form W-2. If the employer mails the form to you, be sure they have the correct address.

If you exhaust the options with your employer and you still have not received the Form W-2, call the IRS at 800-829-1040. Have the following available when you call:

  • Your name, address, Social Security number, and phone number.
  • The employer’s name, address, and phone number.
  • The dates you worked for the employer.
  • An estimate of the amount of wages paid and federal income tax withheld in 2014. If possible, use your final pay stub to figure these amounts.

Your tax return is due by April 15, 2015. If you don’t get your Form W-2 in time to file, we usually recommend extending your return for six months. However, you can use Form 4852, “Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement,” to file your return by April 15. You will need to estimate your wages and withheld taxes and the IRS may delay processing your return while it verifies the information. Also, an amended tax return may need to be filed if you receive the missing Form W-2 after you file and the tax information on the form is different from what you originally reported on your Forms 4852 and 1040.

Please contact Martini, Iosue & Akpovi by phone at (818) 789-1179 if you have any questions or would like more information.


Share: Share by email
Go to the top of this page.